Greater Lafayette, IN beautifully displays all seasons, and it’s one reason we think it’s absolutely an amazing place to build a home. For some, the chill of those winter months are intense! We think the secret is to be prepared. We want you to be able to prepare WELL, and we’re here to help you take care of you home to the best of your ability. It doesn’t have to be overwhelming! You’re not alone in this. Here are some small, helpful tips for your winter home prep to keep you and your home in tip-top shape!
- Furnace maintenance. Needs very depending on what type of furnace you have, but generally, your furnace needs cleaning and/or checked annually. Need HVAC recommendations? Try Blue Fox, JL Anderson or CamFlo.
- Pipes. Clear (and maybe even turn off the water to) exterior pipes. Drain and store hoses. If pipes are on exterior walls of your home, consider insulating those pipes. If temperatures throughout the winter drop drastically below freezing, be sure to run a drip of hot water through the nights. just a tiny bit of moving water can prevent bursted, frozen pipes! If you need to contact a plumber, we recommend Brenneco Plumbing.
- Schedule a chimney cleaning. Our friends at Certified Sweeps would love to help you, and they will do an amazing job!
- Reverse ceiling fans. Set all ceiling fans to the clockwise setting to rotate all the warm air to the floor and to keep your home working efficiently.
- Check batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, heating is the cause of 27 percent of structure fires during the winter months.
- Trim back trees and other hedges in the yard. Doing this will help prevent unstable trees from falling on and damaging your home during winter storms. While you’re preparing for storms, make sure you have a kit in your home to prepare for lost power. Candles, flashlights, hand warmers, blankets, shelf stable food products, etc.
- Clear gutters. Give those gutters one last once over before the hard freeze comes. You’ll thank us later!
- Get ready for snow with a shovel, snow blower, and pet-safe salt/sand!
- Check for any drafts. Seal up windows and door frames for optimal heat insulation in your home. Consider adding storm windows or replacing any windows that need the love! Your energy bill will reflect your checklist’s diligence.
For up-to-date information on YOUR Indiana area neighborhood or a FREE Seller Consultation – call The Romanski Group at (765) 293.9300. Using an experienced team is the way to get your home SOLD! You deserve the BEST Realtor in the Lafayette Indiana area!