Christmas means creating or unpacking family traditions that only come once a year. We love getting our boxes out and hanging up those old ornaments, making those sugar cookies in the shape of reindeer with bright sprinkles, or even sitting down with a favorite Christmas Story inspired book to live in and to celebrate the birth of Jesus. This time is special and warm in the hearts of many. Loading in the car to see Lafayette area Christmas light displays is at the top of our family tradition list so we’ve made a little local list for you to go check out our family and friend’s favorites….
- We Care Park (Kokomo, IN) Open from 5:30 – 9:30 P.M. everyday until December 27th! Over a million lights up and on display here. Walk or drive through.Free to the public/donations accepted.
- Christmas at the Seiberling (Kokomo, IN) This is a historic home decorated for the holiday. Open for tours through December 30th from 1:00 – 4:00 P.M Tuesday – Sunday at $10/adult and $5/student.
- T.P.A. Park (Frankfort, IN) A definite crowd favorite around here! The convenient, friendly Frankfort park satisfies your desire for Christmas lights without making it an all day event. Santa also visits here! Check out the website to see his times and locations. Walk or drive through. Free to the public/donations accepted.
- Oaklawn Acres (Rossville, IN) This is privately owned and just down the road from Cottrell’s Christmas Tree Farm. Lights are on from 6:00 – 10:00 P.M. Sunday – Thursday. 6:00 – 11:00 P.M. Friday and Saturday.
To find personal homes with sick light displays linked to your radio and more, go to the Christmas Light Display Finder. Home owners have registered their light shows on this website, and they want you to come enjoy their work too! Type in your zip code, select a radius, and go see some of the individual work around the area!
Additional light displays in nearby cities…
- Lights at the Brickyard (Indiana Motor Speedway; Speedway, IN) Go view a wopping 2.5 million Christmas lights on display at our Indianapolis Motor Speedway for an Indiana original experience. This is a drive through event that lasts until December 30th. Tickets are available at the gate only. Monday – Wednesday $25/vehicle and Thursday – Sunday $30/vehicle.
- Winter lights at Newfields (The Garden; Indianapolis, IN) Winterlights is an outdoor strolling experience, and according to their website, it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to enjoy! Tickets are sold at the door (Adult $25; Youth ages 6-17 $17; Youth ages 5 and under are free), but if you order online, you receive a 20% discount! Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Cafe! This event is every night until January 7th at 5 and 7 P.M.
- Chinese Lantern Festival (Indiana State Fair Grounds; Indianapolis, IN) If you’re looking for something unique to broaden your world view, check this event out. Lantern-making is an art in China, and this displays 33 large lantern exhibits to expose you to the beauty in their part of the world. Festival admission includes access to the lanterns, nightly performances, and access to Chinese and traditional fair food. Nightly until January 7th from 5:30 – 10:00 P.M. Tickets are available online or at the door. 18 and older: $15/person; Youth 17 and under: $10/person; Military and Senior $12/person; Family 4 pack: $40.
- Circle of Lights (Downtown Indianapolis) Bundle up, head downtown, eat out at one of Indy’s original restaurants, and take a stroll around the city circle to view 4,784 lights decorating the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument. It is the perfect date night, free family fun, or just time by yourself.
- Christmas at the Zoo (Indianapolis, IN) Our zoo was nominated this year for USA Today’s 10 Best Zoo Lights, so go ahead and check out the zoo activity list here. Dates left are December 6-10, 13-23, 26-30. Zoo opens at noon, but activities run from 5:00 – 9:00 P.M. Friday and Saturdays are 5:00 – 10:00 P.M. Admission is standard zoo admission price. Click here to purchase online.
- Meridian Street: A beautiful historic neighborhood district with private homes decorated for the holiday. North Meridian Street, Indianapolis.
- Carmel Christkindlmarkt (Carmel, IN) This German inspired Market is cute, cultural, and captivating! Little vendors filled with tradition will expose you to the European style Christmas markets. Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00 – 9:00 P.M.; Friday & Saturday: 1:00 – 10:00 P.M.; Sunday 1:00 – 9:00 P.M. Schedule of events. Market Map.
- Chicago Holiday Lights Tour (Magnificent Mile; Chicago, IL) This 2 & 1/2 hour heated trolley ride starts at the John Hancock Center and takes you by the most familiar, popular Christmas scenes in Chicago. Cupcakes are provided on the trolley, so it’s obviously meant to be. $29/adult and $18/child (ages 5-15).
- Chicago Christkindlemarket (Chicago, IL) 22 years running on this Christmas Market. Enjoy vendors, drinks, and walking the street of the windy city. Free admission. Sunday – Thursday: 11:00 A.M. – 8:00 P.M; Friday & Saturday: 11:00 A.M. – 9:00 P.M.
- ZooLights (Lincoln Park Zoo; Chicago, IL) Admission if FREE! December 8-23; 26-31; January 1-7 at 4:30 – 9:00 P.M. Things to note: kids eat free on Mondays; “experiences” (or small activities within the event) cost $3 each; parking is not free.
- Navy Pier Winter Wonderfest (Navy Pier; Chicago, IL) 17 years and counting, this event is a huge indoor winter wonderland! Attractions are available for all shapes and sizes. Tickets are $27/adult and $12/kid at 36 – 42 inches tall. Discounts are available online! Check the calendar here.
If you are in southern Indiana be sure to check out…
- Land of Lights (Santa Claus, IN) Well, we wouldn’t expect anything less from Santa Claus, IN. Their light show is open December 8-10, 15-23, 26-30 from 5:00 – 9:00 P.M. CT at $15.00/vehicle.
For up-to-date information on YOUR Indiana area neighborhood or a FREE Seller Consultation – call The Romanski Group at (765) 293.9100. Using an experienced team is the way to get your home SOLD! You deserve the BEST Realtor in the Lafayette Indiana area! Learn more about our Guaranteed Home Sale Program!