It’s been said: “It’s better to repair the fence than to hunt for lost cattle.” Translation in this context: “Maintaining a home is much cheaper than repairing a home.” And it’s so true! As a home owner, sometimes certain aspects of maintenance can slip through the cracks of the to-do list. Here’s a little help to get started on that list! Weather elements in the Greater Lafayette, IN area can be extreme, so be sure to check out a comprehensive checklist, with detailed explanation of each task, from an article at Forbes magazine named, “Your Fall Home Maintenance Checklist.” This blog post is inspired by that article.
- Pruning of trees and bushes. Why? Prevention for winter storms and good for the tree’s overall health.
- Harvest and store all you can from your garden or fruit trees before a frost
- Leaves leaves leaves. Clear all the leaves from your yard so that next Spring your yard will be grass growing ready!
- Clean gutters- after all the leaves fall.
- Chimney cleaning and repair for fires in the coming cool months.
- Seal up any damages or spaces where animals or insects can scurry in
- Stock up on winter supplies- firewood, pet safe ice melt, snow shovels or a snow blower.
- Shut off exterior faucets and store hoses. Also examine your home for faucets on exterior walls to know which ones to watch during freezing temps.
- Winterize pools or other summer outdoor equipment.
- Check safety devices.
- “-Test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors; replace batteries as needed.
- -Check the expiration date on your fire extinguisher and replace if needed.
- -If you haven’t checked your home for radon, fall is a good time to do so — as the weather gets cooler and windows stay shut more often, radon is more likely to become trapped in your home.
- -Radon at high enough levels is extremely harmful, so if you find that your home has radon (a radon level of 4 or above is considered unacceptable by the Environmental Protection Agency), hire a contractor qualified to fix radon issues.”
- Add weather-stripping. This will not only keep you sane through winter months, but it’ll also save you some cash.
- On that same note, check heating system and overall unit efficiency. Contact a local HVAC expert to help you navigate questions and concerns.
For up-to-date information on YOUR Indiana area neighborhood or a FREE Seller Consultation – call The Romanski Group at (765) 293.9300. Using an experienced team is the way to get your home SOLD! You deserve the BEST Realtor in the Lafayette Indiana area!